Minutes of the 59th Occupy Detroit General Assembly, April 24, 2012
Next meeting- Saturday will be at 5900 not at market due bad weather forecast. Will be at Eastern Market on May 5
Nina- Many actions happening in SW Detroit tomorrow- wed April 25 starting at 1030 at Western & SWestern High Schools.
Info is on facebook, Nina will try to share it out…
Sarah C- 1 night camp coming May Day, bring tents, spend just the one night.
Curtis- Thurs 10 am Lansing- meeting to decide if they will be counting the signatures on the petitions. If you are committed to going there is a bus.
Stephen B- Housing as a Human Right- Thurs night 6-8 pm meeting.
WorkGroup Report Backs:
Facilitation preparing packets of info for folks to help more be comfortable facilitating. Discussing having the meetings only 1 day per week instead od before both GA’s. In the interest of helping folks prepping proposals- we have a form/checklist available, that may help prepare the info needed to help a proposal be supported by the GA.- Passing around, will try to get posted on the web site.
Camp- 3 min- having 1 day May Day camp Grand Circus, not bringing a lot of stuff- need police liaison, more media, more comfort, more speakers, music, sound system, practice camp Sunday
Camp meeting post GA today
Want to come in force to show we are the folks from last year, & are still viable…. If you do one thing this month- do this.
Media- need writers to submit to email@example.com
Meeting & working on how to improve web site, and how to get all these events covered- need more reporters, streamers, etc…
Talk of preparing a live stream teach in in a couple weeks for folks interested in livestreaming tips.
Finance met this week- working to set up the wepay as approved to allow directed donations to working groups. Seeking to get all the info & receipts needed to prepare a solid financial statement & do so on a regular basis. Next regular meeting May 6 Phoenix.
Comfort- meeting Saturday after the GA to identify & pack up the items we will want in a rolling comfort station in the van for May Day camp. Will work with those who have been sorting & clearing excess in the basement… and work in tandem with those efforts.
Dry goods working group- processing the cloth & clothing etc donations- screening many w/ od logo…
Transit- more cuts coming, M1 rail initiative…
May Day is happening…. May 1- flyers available, need volunteers, march guides, medics, chalk brigade
Next meeting Wednesday eve 7 pm at 5900
Direct Action- meeting Thursdays- eviction meeting at 6; other direct action at 7 at 5900
Request to plan an action on May 2…. If you can/would help plan that please join us.
6-10 attend…. 83 on google group.
Presentation to allow folks to understand what outreach is & is doing, and get some ideas & feedback
Will share speaking engagements, what street team does, volunteers, how we use google docs, listening campaign…
Listening campaign- short speech intro self, what life was like before occupy & after. Make connections. Be relatable.
Solving issues- state (ie) abortion is the issue, how do we solve it… not getting into pro con debate.
Example listening camp-
What is the biggest problem you face?
Lack of representation
Out of control gas prices
Destruction of communities
What do you think is the one big change that will make the biggest change?
Mark a- how’s the equity in your house? Change I’d like to see… debt forgiveness on mortgages.
Reboot the system, corps out of govt
1- Victor Huey Houston- speaking at interoccupy- wants to come do teach in with us & give insight to raising funds, awareness…. Needs plane ticket from Texas. $350
Will co-anchor our May Day broadcast, will continue to stay here & help us get fundraisers & outreach rolling stronger. Was part of Black Panthers, has many famous connections… usually gets 3k speaker fee, waiving this.
CQ- sounds interesting, have the local been contacted?
A-yes he has been in touch w/ Ron Scott & some local folk. Ron serves on “board of elders”
Says he can stay till he sees us get off the ground & have more support.
CQ- what do we need a lot of money for?
If he can’t come he won’t be speaker at interoccupy
PASSED 350 ish for plane ticket
2- Michigan Summit – gathering of progressive activist folk. At Kellogg Center Sat May 12. Lots of occupy language this year. Event focused on winning tactics for organizers.
Propose we spend $100 to share a table with Occupy Kalamazoo. This would also get 3 people paid into the summit…. 100 would cover gas as well…. Could do a hat drawing if need to choose from a pool of people…
If you are interested in going- see Jen Teed
3- Camp proposal- seeking less than 200 for camp supplies, some will stick with us for future events as well.
CQ- some examples of items..
Porta john (seeking donation, if not will cost 75)
Whistles, disposable cameras, batteries….
Concern- 200 may be low- revise to 250…. accepted
Thank you for moving this along.
I like the quick flow
Zaney no nonsense
Glad for outreach presentation
Glad for transport help & planners
Enjoy workgroup info, try a bit shorter next time.
Suggest flyer/take home piece for presentations like this